About Low Vision

There are many people who have a vision loss that is not correctable with typical eyeglasses or contact lenses. They've lost some vision and are unable to see well enough to participate in activities that are important to them. We say that these people have low vision. Eye diseases like macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, Stargardt's disease and glaucoma, among others, are common causes of low vision.
For many years there have been optometrists who help low vision patients see better so they can return to a more normal life. Special telescopic or microscopic glasses are often prescribed which help the person return to reading, driving, using a computer, participating in hobbies or crafts. Some people are able to return to work.
Most of these people have been told by their eye doctors that nothing can be done to help them. It is true that there is no cure for these diseases and the vision will not return to normal. The job of the low vision optometrist is to evaluate the person's remaining vision and prescribe appropriate glasses or other devices which magnify what is seen, making it easier to see.

Free Telephone Consultation
My practice is totally dedicated to helping low vision patients. That is all that I do. I always speak with patients before scheduling a low vision evaluation. That helps me understand how much remaining vision they have and what their goals are. I also answer questions and give the person an idea of what to expect from the evaluation and from the special glasses. I only schedule people who I can help.
Call me for a free telephone consultation. I will be happy to speak with you and I will tell you if I can help you see better. Call toll free 1 866 321-2030
I see low vision patients in offices in Roanoke, Charlottesville, Harrisonburg and Wytheville, VA.

More information at VirginiaLowVision.com and facebook.com/VirginiaLowVisionOptometrist


Friday, June 27, 2014

"They have exceeded my expectations"

Richard Weddle came to me recently from North Carolina. Richard's low vision is caused by rod-cone dystrophy. That is a condition, usually inherited, that effects both light sensitive parts of the retina. The rods are the retinal cells that help us see in low light. Cones help us in bright light and are also responsible for color vision. When someone has rod-cone dystrophy they gradually lose the use of their night vision, their sharp daylight vision and their color vision. Richard has been dealing with low vision from this condition since birth. Several members of his family also suffer from rod-cone dystrophy. Over the years Richard has seen several low vision doctors who have prescribed various devices that help him. When he came to me he was most interested in help with watching television. He has a good size television, about 60 inches, but needed more magnification. Most of the testing in the low vision evaluation was done at 10 feet. That is the distance that he prefers to sit from his TV. Richard's visual acuity with his glasses was 20/160 with each eye. Testing showed that adding a 1.7X wide angle telescope to his eyeglass prescription improved his acuity at the TV distance to 20/90 right and 20/100 left. Because of the wide angle telescopes he is able to see most of the width of the 60 inch TV. The photo shows Richard Weddle wearing the new wide angle telescopic glasses which I prescribed to help him watch television. After using the glasses for a few days Richard called to tell me how pleased he is with them. "They're great. They have exceeded my expectations. I can see TV well from 12-15 feet." Rod-cone dystrophy is one of several conditions where low vision glasses help. If your vision is reduced due to some uncorrectable eye disease you may be a candidate for these special glasses. Call me toll free for a free telephone consultation. I will be happy to speak with you and by asking you a few questions I'll be able to tell you if you are a candidate. Call me at 866 321-2030. #rodconedystrophy