About Low Vision

There are many people who have a vision loss that is not correctable with typical eyeglasses or contact lenses. They've lost some vision and are unable to see well enough to participate in activities that are important to them. We say that these people have low vision. Eye diseases like macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, Stargardt's disease and glaucoma, among others, are common causes of low vision.
For many years there have been optometrists who help low vision patients see better so they can return to a more normal life. Special telescopic or microscopic glasses are often prescribed which help the person return to reading, driving, using a computer, participating in hobbies or crafts. Some people are able to return to work.
Most of these people have been told by their eye doctors that nothing can be done to help them. It is true that there is no cure for these diseases and the vision will not return to normal. The job of the low vision optometrist is to evaluate the person's remaining vision and prescribe appropriate glasses or other devices which magnify what is seen, making it easier to see.

Free Telephone Consultation
My practice is totally dedicated to helping low vision patients. That is all that I do. I always speak with patients before scheduling a low vision evaluation. That helps me understand how much remaining vision they have and what their goals are. I also answer questions and give the person an idea of what to expect from the evaluation and from the special glasses. I only schedule people who I can help.
Call me for a free telephone consultation. I will be happy to speak with you and I will tell you if I can help you see better. Call toll free 1 866 321-2030
I see low vision patients in offices in Roanoke, Charlottesville, Harrisonburg and Wytheville, VA.

More information at VirginiaLowVision.com and facebook.com/VirginiaLowVisionOptometrist


Monday, February 20, 2012

Help for a Lady with Stargardt's Disease

Bobbie Poling knows the value of a Leader Dog.  She has had Danae helping her for 3 years and, working through her Lions Club, Bobbie helps others obtain Leader Dogs to assist them.

Bobbie was diagnosed with Stargardt's Disease, a form of macular degeneration, in 1991 and has gradually lost her central vision.  Danae, her Leader Dog, is her constant companion and helper.

When Bobbie came to me recently she was hoping for help seeing the faces of her family and with reading, as well as many hobbies that she had previously enjoyed.  Bobbie has a CCTV reading machine but hoped for something more easily used and portable.

Danae and Bobbie's husband watched patiently as I evaluated her distance and near vision.  Several types of low vision glasses were considered and I determined that she would benefit most from a pair of 3x bioptic telescopic glasses for outdoor activities, wide angle telescopic glasses for viewing television and a hand held electronic magnifier to help with reading.

Bobbie wrote later to thank  me and report on her success with the low vision devices.  "Dr. Armstrong helped me to be able to see the face of my husband, children and grandchildren.  He gave me the ability to see TV and enjoy that again.  I recommend him to anyone who needs help with their vision issues."

"You did a super job of looking at me as a whole person and tried to help me maintain my quality of living.  Thank you so much for what you did for me."  Bobbie Poling

If you would like to discuss your vision issues please call me toll free.  I will be happy to talk with you and will give you an honest opinion of whether I can help you.

For more information about Leader Dogs call 888 777-5332 or go to the website http://www.leaderdog.org/.